To back up a certification authority
- Log on to the system as a Backup Operator or Administrator.
- Open Certification Authority.
- In the console tree, click the name of the certification authority (CA).
- Certification Authority (computer)
- CA name
- On the Action menu, point to All Tasks, and click Backup CA.
- Follow the instructions in the Certification Authority Backup wizard.
- To open Certification Authority, click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Certification Authority.
This procedure is useful if you want to backup a CA without backing up the entire server on which the CA is installed.
In general, you should use Windows 2000 Backup and Windows 2000 Restore to back up and restore both the CA and the server. For more information about backing up a Windows 2000 server, see Windows 2000 Backup.